Monday 22 August 2016

Using cookie cutters instead of dies and mixing your own embossing powder color, with video


Yes, cookie cutters, as I don't have a cat silhouette and a pig shape die. I traced the cookie cutters onto cardstock and fussy cut them. In the video you can see how.

I then embossed them in multiple layers to get the shiniest finish, the pig almost looks like glass!
I got the idea from a video from Wow! embossingpowders, they used it on a heartshaped diecut and chipboard.
I love the glass like finish on the pig. It's brittle though, use sturdy cardstock or go for the shattered look ;-) it will crackle if you bend the shap too much,  like caramel sugar .


For the pig I mixed Wow!  primary marshmallow and  primary fuchsia fusion, as one was too light and the other too pink.
Start with the lightest as your base color as you can go darker, but not lighter. these embossingpowders are translucent, which gived it the shiny glass look.

I sometimes layer up silver and gold, to get a really nice and smooth covering (see the feathers) but the shine is different.

For the cat I used also Wow! black twinkle embossing glitter, it's magical, and mandatory for Halloween or if you have two black cats ;-).

For the background I used open of my recipes od Distress ink blending (black soot, chipped sapphire, faded jeans and stormy sky) on watercolor paper.

I prefer to blend on normal cardstock, for the intensity of color, but for an easy blend watercolorpaper is your friend. This is Schut aquarelpapier 300gram coldpressed.

For the Moon I used Squeezed lemonade and Mustard seed,

To make the mask I diecut a circle a little bigger than the cat from 80lbs ardstock (160grams) the same size as a cardbase.

I place the outer mask and then placed the "moon" back, lifted the outer one and started blending from the middle with the lightest color.

Be careful with your fingers, they will lift color off the paper and probably dump is somewhere else on the card you don't want it.

I used a teflon  non stick coated baking sheet, it's from the bake department of our chain called Blokker, but I'm sure you can get it elsewhere, Aldi or Lidl have them sometimes too. €2.99 much cheaper than some other craftmats ;-)

I've also made the same blend on my normal cardstock (laser printer paper from Canon or Mondi, whatever I can get, and I'm not sure which this was, I think Mondi but I'm not sure anymore. )

The make the stars and milky way I splattered Distress inks brushed pewter and Dylusions spray picket fence, but later switched to white Talens Ecoline as it's much more opaque.

The sentiment is from Lawn Fawn's Monster mash.
I like Halloween, but it's not really celebrated in the Netherlands. I make a special menu every year. and decorate the house a little, I don't get dressed up though...one step too far for me haha.

For the birds I used Joy! crafts Noor design6410/0067

The tree stamp is from Avery Elle  Let it snow set and I stamped it with the MISTI as it's watercolorpaper, I used Versafine for a nice black print, but still had to ink it up three times, yay for the MISTI. I masked off the  the branch to make it fit better, somehow my card went from portrait to landscape as I was fitting the trees.
I added a branch with the black Spectrum Noir marker.

I mounted the panel with foamtape and the cat also.
As the watercolor panels are always smaller, I used Washi tape to fill the gap.



1 comment:

  1. Your cards are fabulous, awesome inking! A very clever idea to use the cookie cutters like that too, tfs x

    ReplyDelete